Skip to Main Content

Student Types

In most circumstances you must be an admitted day continuing student to receive federal financial aid.

Evening Students

You may be eligible for federal financial aid if you meet the following:

  1. You have been admitted to a degree-seeking program as a regular day-continuing BYU student, and
  2. You enroll in Evening Classes prior to your degree-seeking admission term, but during the same academic year.

For example, if you are admitted to BYU as a regular day-continuing student for Winter Semester 2019, and enroll in Evening Classes during Fall Semester 2019, you may apply for federal financial aid for both Winter 2019 and Fall 2019.

Visiting Students

Visiting Students are not eligible for University scholarships or federal financial aid. You must be admitted to and enrolled in a degree-seeking program.

Independent Study

BYU Independent Study courses can be taken at any time and applied toward graduation requirements. However, these courses are not eligible for federal financial aid under any circumstances. 

Please note that this does not apply to semester/term BYU Online courses (registered via MyMap), which qualify for federal aid and must be completed within a single semester/term.

BYU Salt Lake Center

To be eligible for federal financial aid you must be formally admitted to BYU (not just the Salt Lake Center). You may take classes at both BYU and the Salt Lake Center and combine these hours for aid purposes. 

Study Abroad

If you are participating in a study abroad program and have been officially admitted to BYU as a regular degree-seeking student, you may apply for federal financial aid and use those funds to help cover study abroad costs. 


Post-Baccalaureate Studies

If you are in the Post-Baccalaureate Studies (PBS) program, you may qualify for federal financial aid under limited circumstances.

You must provide documentation showing you are enrolled in the required prerequisite courses for your chosen graduate or teacher certification program (usually a letter/email or published list of required coursework from the department, school, or program).  A qualified PBS student may receive subsidized and unsubsidized loans. 

Please schedule an appointment with an Enrollment Services Counselor by calling 801-422-7075.