The Veterans and Military Services Office is the liaison between BYU and the VA. We are the support system for student veterans, dependents of veterans, guard members, and reservists who are BYU regular, degree-seeking students and who have applied for VA education benefits.
How to Apply for Veteran's Education Benefits at BYU
Claim transferred benefits and obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA
Apply for Benefits
Instructions for applying for benefits
Click on the following series of tabs on the left side:
- Education and Training > For Students > Getting Started > Apply for Benefits
- Click the link “Apply online” and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Once you have successfully claimed benefits from the VA, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail.
Request Certification of Enrollment at BYU
With a certificate of eligibility in hand, log into your BYU account and complete the Certification Request Form
Certification Request Form
- Fill out the form on this website with the information from the VA Certification of Eligibility
- Click “Submit” when you are finished
You will receive email notification when your certification is submitted to the VA. Certifications are processed by the VA in the order in which they are received. Benefits are generally sent shortly after classes begin. The VA will take 4-6 weeks of processing time before benefits can be posted to your account.
BYU will certify your enrollment to the VA for each semester/term it is requested. Only classes which meet general education and major requirements can be certified, with two exceptions:
- The last semester before graduation, all classes can be certified if at least one class satisfies a graduation requirement.
- VA will allow substitutions if they are approved by the college and documented in your VA file.
Certification for Enrollment for Undergraduate Programs
||Fall or Winter
||Spring or Summer Term
||12 + credit hours