Skip to Main Content

Grading Adjustments for Winter 2020

FAQ and details about the university announcement regarding Winter 2020 grades due to COVID-19. Posted on March 30, 2020

View Grade Selection

On March 23, 2020, Academic Vice President Shane Reese made an announcement about final grades for Winter 2020. You have a choice about how your final grade in each class is recorded for Winter 2020 semester only. 

Faculty will submit grades for each course using the standard grade submission protocol. After grades are posted on April 29, 2020, you will receive an email with a link to all your Winter classes and grades. For classes graded using letter grades, you can choose to keep the grade given or move to a Pass/Withdraw option for each specific course.

  • You may request to change grades A through C- to a P grade. 
    • A “P” grade indicates a passing grade. You earn credit, but it has no effect on your GPA. 
  • You may request to change grades D+ through E to a W.
    • A “W” grade indicates a withdrawal from a class. You do not earn credit, and it has no effect on your GPA. 
    • This change may affect your program requirements, graduation requirements, federal financial aid, and scholarships. Please refer to the FAQ below for more details about how grade changes may affect your academic records, federal financial aid, and scholarships. 

You will have until May 6 at 11:59 p.m. MDT to make your decision(s). If you do not take action, the original grade will remain. 

  • If you are an international student, any grade changes will be reviewed by the International Student and Scholar Services Office so that your visa status is not in jeopardy. In the meantime, you should continue to engage in your classes this semester and work with your instructors to address any challenges.
  • If you are an athlete, any grade changes will be reviewed by Athletic Compliance due to NCAA regulations.

For questions about graduation or program requirements contact your department academic advisement center. 

For questions about grade options in relation to federal financial aid and scholarships, contact Enrollment Services at 801-422-4104 or send a YMessage. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Read through these questions carefully to understand how the grade change protocol could affect you.  

Academic Record Questions


Financial Aid and Scholarships Questions

Federal Financial Aid


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)