Skip to main content

Just Married Checklist

Whether you just are engaged or you are already married, there are items you will want to consider changing and applying for while attending BYU.
Hidden image

Change Your Marital Status

Required Action

You can easily change your marital status online through your personal information page.

Update Marital Status
Changing Marital Status in Person, by Mail or Fax

Hidden image

Change Your Name

In order to change your name on BYU records, for any reason, your signature and certain documentation is required. You can request the change with the BYU Registrar’s Office in person, by mail, fax, or YMessage.

Students who change their name can get a new ID card with the new name free of charge if the old card is turned in to the ID center.

Name Change Documentation
Getting a New ID Card

Hidden image

Set Up Guest Access

Guest Access allows you to give another person access to your BYU account. We recommend each student manage their own student account but understand you may need a parent, spouse, or other third-party to access information or help complete transactions on your behalf. You can grant access to selected accounts including your Academic, Financial, and Personal accounts.

Hidden image

Apply For Financial Aid

Changing your marital status on your FAFSA can influence how much aid you are eligible for. We recommend speaking with an Enrollment Services Counselor to ask questions and determine eligibility. You can schedule an appointment by calling 801-422-4104.

Review the Financial Aid Checklist to walk you through applying for financial aid and help answer frequently asked questions you may have.

Apply for Financial Aid
Financial Aid Checklist

Hidden image

Student Health Plan

You can add a spouse or dependent to your BYU Student Health Plan at the beginning of your first semester of each academic year. You can also add dependents if you have a qualifying event. Select the Married with Dependents plan. To enroll your family members, contact the Student Health Plan Office at 801-422-2661 prior to the semester add/drop deadline. The first payment deadline is by the semester add/drop deadline.

You might be interested to know that the Student Health Center offers premarital classes that address anatomical, physiological and emotional questions you may have about marriage.

Enroll in Health Plan
Student Health Center Premarital Classes

Hidden image

Find Married Housing

BYU’s On-Campus Housing and Off-Campus Housing offices can help you and your new spouse find a great place to live. Tip: When you make your housing choice, update your residential address (this is required each semester).

On-Campus Housing: Wymount Terrace and Wyview Park are the only on-campus married student housing options at BYU. You can view posted vacancies on the Family Housing website.

Off-Campus Housing: The Off-Campus Housing Office has a vacancy listings website to help you in your search.

On-Campus Housing Off-Campus Housing
Family Housing website
Off-Campus Vacancy Listings