The BYU Short-Term Loan is designed to help students pay tuition by the final tuition deadline if financial aid or other payment arrangements have not been finalized. Short-term loans are subject to a $20 processing fee.
- Loans only begin accruing interest if not paid in full by the due date (12% per year).
- If you take out a short-term loan, you will have a hold placed on your account that prevents you from registering for future semesters or terms. The hold will be released when the loan is paid in full.
- You will not be allowed to take out an additional short-term loan for another semester until your previous short-term loan is paid in full.
- BYU is unable to extend Short-term Loan (STL) credit to students who do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) on file with the university. If you have a SSN/ITIN, please enter it into the BYU Information System. If you are working to get an SSN/ITIN, and you would like to explore options for a STL, contact Enrollment Services.
Short-Term Loan Repayment Deadlines
- Fall Semester: November 1
- Winter Semester: March 1
- Spring Term: June 1
- Summer Term: August 1