Excess financial aid money will automatically refund to you. The refund process begins on the 3rd day of classes (or 4th day of classes during the spring term). Students with excess payments (money they have put on their account) will not be automatically refunded but can request a refund after the add/drop deadline.
If you have direct deposit set up, you are likely to receive your excess financial aid money 1-3 days after the refund process begins. If you did not set up direct deposit, your money will be mailed in the form of a check to whatever address is listed in your Personal Information on myBYU (allow 10 business days for the check to arrive).
If it has been longer than 10 business days and you have not seen your refund check, contact Enrollment Services.
Direct deposit is the fastest and simplest way to receive your excess financial aid funds. Your refund will be deposited directly into the bank account of your choice in 2-3 business days after refunding begins.
You will need your bank account and routing number information when setting up direct deposit.
Part-time Refund Hold
Financial aid refunds are not issued to part-time students until after the add/drop deadline. This is because adding additional credit hours before the add/drop deadline may increase your tuition charges, which may also change the amount of your refund. Your refund will not be sent until one of these conditions are met:
- You become a full-time student (for tuition assessment purposes)
- You notify BYU that you have completed your registration for the current semester/term
You may also wait until after the add/drop deadline for your refund to be issued.
If your schedule is set and you plan to remain a part-time student, go to Part-time Status on My Financial Center where you can notify BYU to release your part-time refund hold. The refund process will begin on the 3rd day of classes (or 4th day during the spring term).
International Refund (PayMyTuition)
Brigham Young University has partnered with PayMyTuition to process international student refunds. The steps below outline our international refund process and provide timelines of when you can expect your refund to be deposited to your bank account.
1. Initiate Refund: Upon approval of your refund from Brigham Young University, you will receive an email from email@example.com. Please keep an eye out for this email which will provide you further instructions on how to complete your refund process.
2. Enter Beneficiary Details: Complete the online refund beneficiary instruction form which includes currency, banking and beneficiary instructions.
3. Compliance Verification: On receipt of your completed beneficiary instructions, PayMyTuition will verify your request for accuracy and will complete various fraud and compliance checks to comply with various anti-money laundering and compliance laws.
4. Payment Confirmation: PayMyTuition will send you a confirmation email once your beneficiary information has been verified and approved. You will receive a PDF summary that is password protected. This PDF can be accessed by entering the bank account number that you entered on your beneficiary instruction form (step 2 above).
5. Refund Initiated: Once refunds have been processed, you will receive a notification that your refund has been settled. Please allow 3-5 business days for the payment to be deposited to your account.