English Proficiency Requirement
In order to ensure that our applicants will succeed in BYU’s intense academic environment, a test of English proficiency may be required. We require proof of proficiency regardless of time spent studying in the United States. Please note that meeting minimum requirements will not guarantee admission.
BYU accepts English proficiency exams from TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, and Cambridge English: Advanced and Proficient.
In many areas around the globe testing of English as a second language has fully resumed after COVID closures. Many services also offer an at-home option for their exam.
- TOEFL - BYU is currently accepting the TOEFL iBT (testing center, Home Edition, and Paper Edition). BYU only accepts TOEFL iBT scores from a single test date, not MyBest scores. BYU does not accept TOEFL Essentials to fulfill the English Proficiency requirement.
- IELTS - BYU is currently accepting IELTS Academic and IELTS Online. BYU does not accept IELTS Indicator.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) - BYU accepts PTE Academic and PTE Academic Online.
- Cambridge Assessment English - BYU Accepts C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency exams. These results do not expire.
English Proficiency Minimum Requirements
If English proficiency requirements are not met, you are encouraged to increase your skills and retest.
- TOEFL iBT – You can select BYU to receive your results by entering the institutional code 4019 as you register for the test. If you decide to submit the result after taking the test, access your ETS Account and use the "Send Additional Score Reports" option. The name on your exam and the name on your application must match to be updated automatically.
- IELTS – Please send us a message via ymessage.byu.edu with the TRF number
- PTE – Select any of the CES institutions and they will be sent automatically
- Cambridge English – Log into the Candidate Results Website and register using your Candidate ID and Secret number, and request that your scores be made available to BYU. The code for BYU is 639. Send in a message via ymessage.byu.edu so that our office can retrieve your score.
English Learning Resources
The English Language Center at Brigham Young University may also be able to help students improve their English language skills. Learn more about this program by visiting elc.byu.edu. Note: BYU will require one of the listed standardized English proficiency exams even if students complete this program.