In order to ensure that our applicants will succeed in BYU’s intense academic environment, a test of English proficiency may be required. We require proof of proficiency regardless of time spent studying in the United States. TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE scores are valid for two years. If the exam expires before the application deadline, a new score will be required. The Cambridge English exams do not expire. Please note that meeting minimum requirements will not guarantee admission.
BYU accepts English proficiency exams from TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, and Cambridge English: Advanced. BYU only accepts TOEFL iBT® scores from a single test date, not MyBest™ scores.
In many areas around the globe testing of English as a second language has been fully or partially suspended. Please use the resources below to learn more information about scheduling your exam.
- TOEFL updates: https://www.ets.org/s/cv/important-update/. BYU is currently accepting the TOEFL Special in Home Edition.
- IELTS updates: https://www.ielts.org/news/2020/ielts-now-open-in-over-100-countries-including-china BYU does not accept IELTS Indicator.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): https://pearsonpte.com/articles/covid-19-information-for-pte-academic-test-takers-and-institutions/
- Cambridge Assessment English: https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/cmp/novel-coronavirus-2019/
BYU English Proficiency Minimum Requirements
If English proficiency requirements are not met, you are encouraged to increase your skills and retest.
- TOEFL iBT – Send the official letter (with the heat seal in the upper right-hand corner) to: CES Processing Center; A-41 ASB; Provo, UT 84602, USA. Scores may also be sent to BYU directly by the testing company. We cannot accept a computer printout. Be sure to register for the exam with your name exactly as it appears on the BYU application.
- IELTS – Please send us a message via ymessage.byu.edu with the TRF number
- PTE – Select any of the CES institutions and they will be sent automatically
- Cambridge English – Log into the Candidate Results Website and register using your Candidate ID and Secret number, and request that your scores be made available to BYU. The code for BYU is 639. Send in a message via ymessage.byu.edu so that our office can retrieve your score.
English Learning Resources
The English Language Center at Brigham Young University may also be able to help students improve their English language skills. Learn more about this program by visiting elc.byu.edu. Note: BYU will require one of the listed standardized English proficiency exams even if students complete this program.