Skip to main content


The Veterans and Military Services Office is the liaison between BYU and the VA. We are the support system for student veterans, dependents of veterans, guard members, and reservists who are BYU regular, degree-seeking students and who have applied for VA education benefits.

How to Apply for Veteran's Education Benefits at BYU

Claim transferred benefits and obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA

Apply for Benefits

Instructions for applying for benefits

Click on the following series of tabs on the left side:

  • Education and Training > For Students > Getting Started > Apply for Benefits
  • Click the link “Find Your Education Benefits Form” and follow the instructions on the screen.
  • Once you have successfully claimed benefits from the VA, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail.

For questions about the Certificate of Eligibility, call the VA Helpline at 1-888-442-4551.

Request Certification of Enrollment at BYU

With a certificate of eligibility in hand, log into your BYU account and complete the Certification Request Form

Certification Request Form

  • Fill out the form on this website with the information from the VA Certification of Eligibility
  • Click “Submit” when you are finished

You will receive email notification when your certification is submitted to the VA. Certifications are processed by the VA in the order in which they are received. Benefits are generally sent shortly after classes begin. The VA will take 4-6 weeks of processing time before benefits can be posted to your account.

Certification Policies

BYU will certify your enrollment to the VA for each semester/term it is requested. Only classes which meet general education and major requirements can be certified, with two exceptions:

  1. The last semester before graduation, all classes can be certified if at least one class satisfies a graduation requirement.
  2. VA will allow substitutions if they are approved by the college and documented in your VA file. 

Certification for Enrollment for Undergraduate Programs

Military Tuition Assistance

Utah National Guard State Tuition Assistance (STA)

Members of the Utah National Guard are eligible to apply for Utah National Guard State Tuition Assistance. Eligible members are required to apply each semester and are encouraged to apply as soon as they register for classes. Funding is typically not an issue, but due to changes in Federal Tuition Assistance, there has been an increase in the number of students using State Tuition Assistance. For more information about applying for STA or any other questions about the Utah National Guard, contact our on-campus representative:

SFC Bret W. Jackson

220 Daniel H. Wells (ROTC) Building



The BYU Army ROTC department offers two, three, and four year scholarships to students who are eligible. Scholarship winners enroll in ROTC classes and receive leadership training while pursuing a degree in the field of their choice. Scholarships awarded through ROTC pay either the full cost of tuition or room & board. Additionally, scholarship winners receive a tax-free $300-$500 monthly stipend for living expenses and a $600 book allowance each semester. Acceptance of an ROTC scholarship incurs an obligation to serve as an officer in the Active Army or Reserve Component (National Guard/Reserves).

For more information, visit or contact:

Mr. Jack Sturgeon

220 Wells ROTC Building

801- 422-7725

Contact Us

Veterans Support
A-41 ASB
Provo, UT 84602

801-422-0007 (Fax)