Accrediting agencies ensure that academic practices meet acceptable levels of quality. BYU only accepts high school or college work completed through an accredited institution.
BYU does not accept work that is not accredited by one of the following agencies, including unaccredited homeschool work and international work. If you have completed non-US-accredited work, it must be evaluated as a part of the application: See evaluating international work.
The following are accepted high school accrediting agencies:
- Accrediting Commission for Schools (ACS WASC)
- Middle States Association Commission on Elementary and Secondary Schools (MSACESS)
- New England Association of Schools & Colleges (NEASC)
The following are accepted higher education accrediting agencies:
- Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC)
- Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
- New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
- WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
In addition to the agencies listed above, a completed International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma is also recognized as appropriately accredited.