Skip to main content


Look over what you will need before starting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for federal aid. If you are a dependent, you will need your parents’ information and their signature before submitting the FAFSA. If you are independent, you are not required to include parental information; however, you will need to include parental information if you wish to be considered for need-based scholarships as part of the scholarship application. Look over what you will need before starting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Submit FAFSA

The following list has some of the items you will need in order to submit the FAFSA:

1. Your FSA ID

An FSA ID is a username/password used to log in to U.S. Department of Education websites. Each student will need an FSA ID. In addition, one parent of each dependent student will need their own FSA ID in order to sign the FAFSA.

2. Your Social Security Number

If you are a dependent student, you will need your parent’s SSNs as well. If you are not a U.S. citizen, but will qualify as an eligible non-citizen, you will need your Alien Registration number.

3. Your driver’s license number (if you have one).

4. The appropriate year’s tax records

It is highly recommended that you use the IRS Data Retrieval tool, which pulls information directly from your tax return into your FAFSA. If you do not wish to use the retrieval tool or do not qualify you will need your tax return and any W-2s.

  • If you are currently married, you will need your spouse’s tax information.
  • If you are deemed “dependent” by FAFSA, you will need your parent’s tax information. Lack of financial support or not being claimed on parents’ taxes does not determine dependency status for financial aid purposes.

5. Records of your untaxed income

Interest income, veterans non-education benefits, child support, etc., are all examples of untaxed income you are required to report on the FAFSA. You will want to reference the appropriate year’s records of this information for you and your parents (if dependent).

6. Records of your assets (money)

Assets include savings and checking account balances, as well as the value of investments such as stocks/bonds/real estate (except the home in which your family lives). You should report the current amounts as of the date you sign the FAFSA.

Next Steps

It typically takes 3-5 business days for BYU to receive the FAFSA. You can review if BYU received it through your My Financial Center. Make sure that you are looking at the appropriate semester.

Review your Financial Aid Checklist to review the process and timeline for federal financial aid.