Skip to Main Content

To maintain safety and well-being we encourage remote contact by phone or YMessage.
When in-person help is necessary, follow all BYU COVID policies when visiting our offices.

Marriage and Federal Aid

The FAFSA asks you to report your marital status 'as of the day' you submit the FAFSA. You have the option to update your marital status on your original FAFSA if your marital status changes on or before June 30th of the academic year in which you are wanting aid.

If you wish to update your marital status on your FAFSA you must do so before the end of your enrollment for the academic year (fall-summer) or June 30th, whichever comes first. Any additional Pell Grant you may become eligible for will be awarded retroactively. 

We strongly advise you to consider your options carefully before filing your FAFSA or making any changes.

Things to Consider

  1. If you are already considered Independent on the FAFSA and are receiving the maximum Pell award, there is no advantage to updating your marital status. Check MyAid Dashboard for your Pell award and breakdown. 
  2. Independent students do not report parental income on the FAFSA, therefore, independent students frequently, but not always appear to have more financial need. 
  3. Use the FAFSA 4Caster to help determine whether to apply before or after your wedding. Supply the data first as if you are single, then as if you are married, and compare the estimated eligibility. Remember, the results are simply estimates.