The admission application requires a few different recommendations (listed below). Plan ahead. It is your responsibility to work with your ecclesiastical leaders, seminary teachers, and other recommenders to ensure that their recommendations get submitted in time.
Recommendations are completed through the application with a provided form. Only recommendations asked for and submitted using the application form will be accepted or considered for admission purposes. Any additional recommendations will not be considered, made part of an application, or kept.
Recommendation types are listed below:
Ecclesiastical endorsement – All applicants will need to have an ecclesiastical endorsement. This includes agreeing to abide by the Honor Code and Dress and Grooming Standards.
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will need to meet with their bishop for their first level endorsement and a member of their stake presidency for their second level endorsement, from the ward/stake in which their records are located.
Currently-serving missionaries will have one interview with their mission president.
If you are not a member of the Church, you have the option of completing your first level endorsement with your own religious leader or with a local bishop or mission president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (to find a local Latter-day Saint leader, enter your address into the meetinghouse locator tool). For your second level endorsement, you will be contacted by the university chaplain via the email provided in your application.
Seminary Recommendation – If required, a request will be sent to your current seminary teacher to complete a recommendation.
High School Teacher Recommendation – The high school teacher recommendation can be completed by anyone that taught a class that counted towards the completion of either a math, English, or science requirement in your junior or senior year. You will need to supply their email address in your application.
Other Recommendation – This recommendation can be anyone that knows you well that is not a relative. You will need to supply their email address in your application.
For the seminary, high school teacher, and other recommendations, we will send your recommender an email with a link to a form to be completed. The form asks the recommender to rate you on items like the following:
- Resolves concerns without parental intervention
- Demonstrates integrity, trustworthy, fulfills commitments
- Makes it safe for fellow students to participate in class and share observations
- Demonstrates that attending and participating in seminary is a high priority (seminary recommender only)
- Demonstrates that studying the gospel is a high priority (seminary recommender only)
- Assignments are high quality and turned in on time; larger assignments are well-planned and not thrown together at the last minute (high school recommender only)
- Problem solving ability; sound thinking (high school recommender only)
- Proactively seeks help when facing a challenge (other and high school recommenders only)
- Sets and achieves challenging goals (other recommender only)
We also provide space for a brief open-ended response:
- Is there anything else we should know about the applicant? (seminary recommender only)
- Based on how you rated the applicant, please share a time you have observed this applicant setting and achieving a challenging goal? Be specific. (other recommender only)
- What evidence do you see of the applicant challenging themselves academically? Be specific. (high school recommender only)