Skip to main content

Verifying your Federal Tax Return

If you are required to submit verification of your tax return, you can choose to either submit a copy of your 1040, or submit a copy of your Tax Return Transcript.

Submitting a Federal Tax Return

Obtain a copy of your U.S. Individual Tax Return (1040/1040A/1040EZ) that you submitted to the IRS for the tax year requested. Physically sign the 1040 and submit the signed copy as directed. The same requirements apply to parents who are asked to verify their tax returns.

Helpful Hints:

  • If you used an online service, that service might have a copy of your 1040/1040A/1040EZ.
  • If your parents filed your taxes, they might have a copy of your 1040/1040A/1040EZ.
  • If you used an accountant, you might have physical copy of your 1040/1040A/1040EZ.

If you are unable to submit a copy of your 1040/1040A/1040EZ, you can submit a Tax Return Transcript.

Submitting a Tax Return Transcript

1. Complete the Dependent/Independent Online Verification Form task found on MyAid Dashboard. Your answers on the form will determine whom we need a transcript from.

2. Go to and click on ‘Get Your Tax Record’.

3. Choose which method to receive your transcript. Transcripts requested through the mail take 5-10 days. Transcripts requested online are immediately available for download. Most students who are requesting a transcript for the first time will not be able to use the online option.

Transcript Online

You must first create an IRS account. Make sure you choose to request the Tax Return Transcript.


Transcript by Mail

Make sure the address entered is the address used to file taxes.

* Helpful hint: Go to > Look Up a Zip Code by Address to verify the address entered is correctly formatted to match the government’s databases (i.e. Lane vs. Ln.)


What if I Can't Get a Transcript?

If your request for a transcript is unsuccessful (for reasons other than name, SSN, DOB, and address not matching the IRS records), or you believe you are a victim of tax related identity theft, please make an appointment with an Enrollment Services Counselor by calling 801-422-7075.