AIM access is granted to employees as it is relevant to their positions.
Request AIM Access
Access to student information is regulated by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), and should only be given on a need-to-know basis. University employees who require access to student records in order to perform their job responsibilities may request access to AIM.
Employees may initiate and follow a request, complete FERPA Training, and submit a FERPA Compliance Agreement at aimaccess.byu.edu.
Information Partners may initiate a request, add notes to a request, cancel a request, view the status of pending requests, and approve requests by accessing their Tools found at aimaccess.byu.edu.
Request AIM Access
The following steps must be completed before access will be granted:
- Submit an AIM Access Request – may be done by the employee, a supervisor, or an information partner.
- Complete the following fields:
- Enter Net ID, then tab to autofill name
- Include an email address where employee will receive instructions for completing the request and a preferred phone number where employee may be contacted
- Check Job Title and Department: if a student has more than one job, the most recent will autofill. Please make corrections when needed
- Contact Person
- Provide the name of a supervisor or fellow employee who can answer questions about the request
- Enter the Net ID, then tab to autofill all fields
- Information Partner
- Find a match for the correct college or department from the drop-down menu
- Information Partners must approve all requests before processing
- Access Requirements
- Choose the access needed:
- Add employee access: gives an employee new or additional access
- Replace an existing employee: gives access to a new employee and expires access for the employee being replaced
- Copy the access of an existing employee: gives identical access to employees working in the same or similar positions
- Expire employee access: removes all or partial access for an employee
- Complete a FERPA Training
- Choose between FERPA Training for either Faculty or Employees (non-faculty)
- Watch the online FERPA Training videos (introduction followed by additional training) and answer related questions
- May skip this step if FERPA training has been completed within the past two years
- Sign the FERPA Compliance Agreement
- Upon completion of FERPA training, employee is directed to the FERPA Compliance Agreement
- Employee may also receive a reminder email with a link to the Agreement
- The FERPA Compliance Agreement can also be found at aimaccess.byu.edu
- Employee reads the Agreement, checks the electronic signature box signifying agreement, and then clicks SUBMIT
AIM Access requests that have not been completed by the employee within one month will be discontinued.
To expire access, choose one of the following options on the AIM Access Request form:
- Replace an existing employee who has the same access – Use this option to request access for a new employee and expire access for the employee being replaced on the same request form.
- Expire employee access – Use this option to expire all or partial access for an employee. Please specify which access to expire if not expiring all access.
CRS1 (Course Detail)
- For training on CRS01 “When Taught” access, contact:
- For training on CLS01 scheduling access, contact:
- For access to Graduate screens:
- For access and training on scholarship awards, contact
- Financial Aid and Scholarships Office
- Lesa Withers
- Request AIM Access for YMessage at aimaccess.byu.edu
- Be assigned to a workgroup on YMADM8 by a Workgroup Administrator
- Contact email@example.com with problems or questions
List of Information Partners
Information Partners are designated for each College, Department, or Organization that uses AIM and play a vital role in ensuring that employees have the access needed to do their jobs efficiently, without having more than necessary.
The role of Information Partner includes:
- Acting as a liaison with the Registrar’s Office to determine the appropriate AIM access for employees in their areas of responsibility.
- Reviewing and approving AIM access requests before they are sent to the Registrar’s Office, where access is granted.
- Working with supervisors to make sure that access for terminated employees is expired in a timely manner.
- Reviewing and updating the AIM Access Master List sent by the Registrar’s Office each semester.
Information Partners may request these reports any time from the AIM Access Administrator:
AIM Access Master List
- All employees with AIM Access in each Info Partner’s area
- Lists Info Areas and Quick URL pages
- Individual Employee AIM Access
- Descriptions of a single employee’s access with Info Areas and Quick URL pages