Creating the Class Schedule
- Class Scheduling rolls over the class schedule from the previous year as a starting point for departments.
- Department schedulers create the class schedule in the Coursedog scheduling system found here coursedog.byu.edu
The university assigns priority to classrooms for departments and colleges based on utilization. Each classroom may have 2 levels of priority. Priority room assignments can be seen on CLS08 or CLS09.
- Priority 1 Scheduling – Units may schedule classes in their priority level 1 rooms during this time period.
- Priority 2 Scheduling – Units may schedule classes in their priority level 1 and 2 rooms during this time period.
- Class Scheduling will assign rooms after priority 2 ends for classes that still need a room or will work with departments to explore alternative class times.
|Priority 1 Scheduling||begins 1st Wed of December||begins 1st Wed of April||begins 1st Wed of Aug|
|Priority 2 Scheduling||begins 2nd Wed of February||begins 3rd Wed of June||begins 3rd Wed of October|
|Limited Changes Begin||1st Wed of March||2nd Wed of July||2nd Wed of November|
|Schedule Available Online||April 1||August 1||December 1|
*General dates and time periods may vary from year to year.
Time in Class
Use this table to help determine the amount of time in class per credit hour (or curriculum approved lab/lecture hours).
Standard Meeting Patterns
The university has begun using standard meeting patterns to benefit students and maximize university resources. With this change, we have aligned the 75-minute class periods to be consistent between MW and TTh. The chart below displays the standard meeting patterns and is followed by two tables that show the times based on credit hours for Fall/Winter vs. Spring/Summer.
Fall and Winter
|2 credits||3 credits (50 minute classes)||3 credits (75 minute classes)||4 credits|
|7:00-7:50 MW or TTh||7:00-7:50 MWF||8:00-9:15 MW or TTh||7:00-7:50 Daily|
|8:00-8:50 MW or TTh||8:00-8:50 MWF||9:30-10:45 MW or TTh||8:00-8:50 Daily|
|9:00-9:50 MW or TTh||9:00-9:50 MWF||11:00-12:15 MW Only||9:00-9:50 Daily|
|10:00-10:50 MW or TTh||10:00-10:50 MWF||12:30-1:45 MW or TTh||10:00-10:50 Daily|
|11:00-11:50 MW only||11:00-11:50 MWF||2:00-3:15 MW or TTh||12:00-12:50 Daily|
|etc.||etc.||3:30-4:45 MW or TTh||etc.|
|Evening sections only:||To accommodate 4pm start time||4:00-5:15, 5:30-6:45, etc.|
Spring and Summer
|2 credits||2 credits||3 credits||3 credits (75 min classes)||4 credits|
|8:00-9:50 MW or TTh||8:00-8:50 MTWTh||8:00-9:50 MWF or TThF||8:00-9:15 MTWTh||8:00-9:50 MTWTh|
|10:00-11:50 MW only||9:00-9:50 MTWTh||10:00-11:50 MWF only||9:30-10:45 MTWTh||12:00-1:50 MTWTh|
|12:00-1:50 MW or TTh||10:00-10:50 MTWTh||12:00-1:50 MWF or TThF||12:30-1:45 MTWTh||2:00-3:50 MTWTh|
|2:00-3:50 MW or TTh||12:00-12:50 MTWTh||2:00-3:50 MWF or TThF||2:00-3:15 MTWTh||4:00-5:50 MTWTh|
Changes to Schedule After Publishing Online
Some changes will be made to the class schedule after publishing online. For example, the student demand for a class may exceed classroom size or a class will no longer be offered. If possible, the change will be made. Keep in mind it is difficult to reschedule rooms during prime hours.
In some cases the section must be cancelled and a new section created. If students are already registered for a class that needs to be changed or cancelled, the department must notify them by e-mail.
Please check the chalkboards, technology, and seating type before the class schedule is published.
To make class changes, faculty members must go through their department scheduler who then must contact the appropriate scheduling office:
|Class Scheduling and Curriculum||801-422-0999|
|Salt Lake Center||801-933-9433|
Scheduling Help Sections & Events
Unscheduled academic classrooms can be requested through Class Scheduling or Campus Scheduling depending on the circumstances.
- Full semester/term help sections or TA office hours can be scheduled starting the 3rd day of class through Class Scheduling (801-422-0999 or email@example.com).
- After the add/drop deadline, all help sections must be scheduled through Campus Scheduling (801-422-3134).
- Any non-academic event needs to be scheduled through Campus Scheduling. The event will be tentative until after the add/drop deadline.