Creating the Class Schedule
- Class Scheduling rolls over the class schedule from the previous year as a starting point for departments.
- Department schedulers create the class schedule in the Coursedog scheduling system.
- The university assigns priority to classrooms for departments and colleges based on utilization and a number of other factors. Each classroom may have 2 levels of priority. Priority room assignments can be seen on CLS08 or CLS09.
- Priority 1 Scheduling—Units may schedule classes in their priority level 1 rooms during this time period.
- Priority 2 Scheduling—Units may schedule classes in their priority level 1 and 2 rooms during this time period.
- Limited Change Scheduling—Units may request changes to the class schedule.
- Class Scheduling will assign rooms after priority 2 ends for classes that still need a room or will work with departments to explore alternative class times.
|Priority 1 Scheduling
|1st Wednesday of December
|1st Wednesday of April
|1st Wednesday of August
|Priority 2 Scheduling
|2nd Wednesday of February
|3rd Wednesday of June
|3rd Wednesday of October
|Limited Changes Begin
|1st Wednesday of March
|2nd Wednesday of July
|2nd Wednesday of November
|Schedule Published (Registration Carts Open)
|1st Monday of June
|3rd Monday of October
Changes to Schedule After Registration Carts Open
NOTE: Please be considerate of students by making changes as early as possible so they can make adjustments to their schedules. Changes after the semester begins should be avoided wherever possible.
Some changes may be made to the class schedule after publishing online. For example, the student demand for a class may exceed classroom size, or a class will no longer be offered. If possible, the change will be made. Keep in mind it is difficult to reschedule rooms during prime hours.
In some cases, the section must be cancelled and a new section created. If students are already registered for a class that needs to be changed or cancelled, the department must notify them by e-mail.
Please check the assigned classrooms for appropriate setup, technology, and characteristics before the class schedule is published.
To make class changes, faculty members must go through their department scheduler, who will submit a request for the changes in the Coursedog scheduling system.
Scheduling Help Sections & Events
Unscheduled academic classrooms may be requested through Class Scheduling or Campus Scheduling, depending on the circumstances.
- Beginning the 3rd day of class, full-semester/term TA help & review sections can be scheduled through Class Scheduling at email@example.com.
- After the add/drop deadline, all TA help & review sections must be scheduled through Campus Scheduling (801-422-3134).
- Any non-academic events must be scheduled through Campus Scheduling after the add/drop deadline.
Time in Class
Use this table to help determine the amount of time in class per credit hour (or curriculum approved lab/lecture hours).
Standard Meeting Patterns
Standard meeting patterns are used to benefit students and maximize university resources. Refer to the charts below or download.
For questions or assistance, contact the appropriate scheduling office:
Salt Lake Center