You can complete some University requirements by taking an Exemption or Challenge Exam. Challenge Exams carry credit and a grade while Exemption Exams only fill a requirement.
You may request to earn credit through a challenge examination if you meet the following conditions:
- You are currently enrolled OR have completed a BYU course other than through Independent Study
- You are not currently suspended from BYU.
- You have not graduated.
- If you are a graduate student, you may challenge credit specific to your graduate program.
Please note: Although you may request to challenge courses for credit, individual departments determine whether or not an examination exists and/or will be offered.
Request an Exam
Many language departments require registration in a specific course in order to take their challenge exam. Please contact the appropriate department before requesting to challenge language credit.
If you have never been a BYU student, or if you would like to test for a less commonly taught language, please contact the FLATS department.
General Process for Requesting a Challenge Exam
Part 1 – Before the Exam
- Go to challengeexam.byu.edu
- Click on “Request Challenge Exam”
- Select Teaching Area from drop-down list
- Select Course(s) from drop-down list
- Check box agreeing to the examination fee (student will only have to pay the $20 fee if exam is approved)
- Submit Request
- Check YMessage (message will be sent when the exam is approved/denied)
*OR check challengeexam.byu.edu under “Exam Status” tab
- If/When approved, pay the $20 fee (charged to student account-My Financial Center)
- Contact specific department and/or testing center for instructions on how, when, and where to take exam.
Part 2 – After the Exam
- Check YMessage (notification will be sent when exam has been graded)
- Click on link in YMessage (brings student to challengeexam.byu.edu to see the grade of his/her exam)
- Under Transcript Action column select “Post to Transcript” or “Discard Grade”
- Grade will appear on transcript within 24 hours (ONLY if a student already has BYU credit on transcript)
For information about the dean/department chair procedure for challenge exams, see Challenge Exams for Departments.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 801-422-2631 or send us a YMessage.