Skip to main content

The following are considered transfer applicants:

  • High school graduates that enrolled in college after high school graduation.
  • High school graduates currently enrolled in a college or university after graduation even though they do not have any completed credit. (The system will let you apply either as a freshman or transfer student. If you want to apply as a transfer student you will need to list the college and put zero GPA credits. If you have questions about your particular situation contact us).
  • Homeschool applicants that completed college credit after they have completed their homeschool requirements.
  • Non-high school graduates who are over 18 and have enrolled in college after high school graduation (see parentheses above).

Transferring with less than 24 graded credits

Transferring with 24 or more graded credits

Required to submit transcripts of any completed college or university work in addition to high school work. Check here to see if an ACT or SAT score is required.Required to submit transcripts of any completed college or university work.

What counts as graded credit

What does not count as graded credit

Any accredited, graded, college work including concurrent enrollment credit, and including the following:
  • BYU Continuing Education programs college credit
  • BYU Study Abroad programs credit
  • Language exams, if graded (not pass/fail)
  • International work that has been evaluated by an approved agency (occasionally it is necessary to have an evaluation before it is possible to say how many credits an applicant has received)
  • AP/IB and Cambridge Credits
  • BYU English Language Center classes
  • In-progress work (credit must be graded)
  • Non-graded credits
  • Pass/Fail credit
  • Pathway Connect credit or any other work from a non-accredited institution (this still needs to be reported in your application)

The following are not considered transfer applicants:

  • Only completed college credit while in high school (concurrent work/dual enrollment), or who have not enrolled in college after high school graduation. These applicants are considered freshmen.
  • Homeschooled applicants who have completed college credits before they completed their homeschool requirements.
  • Already completed a bachelor’s degree. BYU does not offer second bachelor’s degrees. Those with bachelor’s degrees may consider a graduate program through Graduate Studies.
  • Those who will not be 17 by the time the semester they are seeking has begun.

Admission Application

  • Submit your application by the appropriate application deadline.
  • Apply for the semester or term you wish to attend. Requests to change beginning semesters may not be accommodated.
  • The admission criteria are the same for all entry dates. One semester or term is not easier to get into over another.
  • If you are wanting to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, read more information about deferring here.
  • You need to submit a college transcript for any concurrent college credit received.
  • If you completed a bachelor’s degree, you are not eligible for a second bachelor’s degree from BYU, but are welcome to apply to BYU graduate programs.
  • Transfer applicants with 90 or more graded semester credit hours are unlikely to be admitted.
  • For transfer guides, transfer evaluations, and transfer contact information, visit Transfer Evaluation.
  • If you have completed any International college or university work, see Evaluating International Work for more information. BYU only accepts official US-accredited transcripts without an evaluation.