Skip to main content

Registration Policies

Rules about registration and instructions for special circumstances.
  • You may register for classes if you are a continuing BYU student or a new student who has received an acceptance notice. Once admitted to BYU, you’ll be given registration eligibility. You may not attend class if you are not officially registered for either credit or audit.

    Those students not admitted for regular day time enrollment have options to take classes as Visiting Students or through Continuing Education.

    You must have a Continuing Ecclesiastical Endorsement. This means that if you have a withdrawal of membership, have formal membership restrictions, or are disaffiliated from the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, you cannot attend BYU until you are in good standing.

    Registration for faculty, staff, and spouses – See Full-time Employee Registration.
  • Some classes have prerequisite courses you must take before you can register for them.

    The following are rules concerning prerequisite course enforcement:

    1. You cannot register for a class until you complete the course prerequisites through BYU coursework, transfer equivalencies, or substitutions.
    2. You must complete the prerequisites with a passing grade.
    3. You can register for a course in a future semester if you register for its prerequisite in a current or earlier semester.
    4. If you fail the prerequisite, you will need to drop the course that requires the prerequisite.
    5. If you drop or discontinue the prerequisite, you will automatically be dropped from the course that requires the prerequisite.
    6. If you do not meet course prerequisites, the system informs you at the time of registration.
    7. You cannot take a course and its prerequisite course in the same semester or term.
    8. Prerequisite courses are not title code specific.
    9. Permission-to-add codes override prerequisite enforcement.
  • To see how your class standing is calculated, please see the university catalog.

    To find out when you can register, see the priority registration schedule.
  • A term class is eight weeks (half a semester). Classes are completed at an accelerated pace, but the tuition deadlines and charges are the same as semester classes. During fall and winter, Term 1 courses run during the first eight weeks of instruction, and Term 2 courses run during the last eight weeks of instruction. Registering only for term classes and not registering for Fall/Winter semesters is not encouraged.

    During spring and summer, most classes are taught by term, with a few semester-length offerings.

    Make sure you’re aware of the dates and deadlines for term classes. Refer to the academic schedule.
  • Undergraduate Students

    • If you are in good academic standing, you may register for up to 18 credit hours per semester or 9 credits per term.
    • With advisement center approval, you can take 21 credit hours per semester or 11 credits per term.
    • You cannot register for the additional hours until the first day of the semester.
    • Continuing Education classes or audited classes count as credit hours.
    • For exceptions, you must go through a petition process after the first day of school.

    Graduate Students

    • You may take up to 22 credit hours per semester, 11 per term.
    • To take more than the maximum, you must work with the Graduate Studies Office (105 FPH, 801-422-4091).
  • Some departments offer variable credit classes. You can choose from a given range of credits which corresponds with the amount of coursework required. You should consult with your professor or advisor before choosing the number of credit hours.

    If you want to adjust the number of credit hours after you have added the class to your schedule, you can edit the credit hours in MyMAP through the add/drop deadline of the semester or term. After the add/drop deadline, you would need to petition.
  • An envelope is a set of pre-bundled classes which are taken together. Rather than having students register for individual courses, some major programs will have students register for an envelope which includes a set of courses. Students can register for class envelopes by going to the "Register" tab on MyMAP and selecting "Add an Envelope" under the appropriate semester.

    Envelopes can also be added via the Registration Cart. However, they cannot be waitlisted or added using a Permission-to-Add Code. Students can only drop or withdraw from an envelope as a whole; to withdraw from individual courses within an envelope, contact the department over that envelope.

    Envelopes are also used by freshmen to register for mentored seats. Unlike other envelopes, mentored seat envelopes only include one class; however, the same rules apply to these seats as other envelopes. For more information regarding mentored seats, please contact the Office of First-Year Experience.
  • Definition of an Audit

    To audit a class means to register for a class without receiving credit or a grade. Audit classes and classes for credit have the same tuition cost. While audited classes do not count toward your number of credits, audits do count toward the maximum credit hours allowed for a semester or term. An audit class will show on your current semester or term registration with a “V” in the grade column. After the end of the semester or term, the class will not appear on your transcript.

    Registering for an Audit Class

    Your instructor or department must give you a permission-to-audit code during the first six days of a semester or term. To change a class to an audit, you must first drop the class and then add it with a permission-to-audit code. The first five digits of the permission-to-audit code must say “AUDIT” to add the class for audit. You must wait until the first day of classes to receive and use a permission-to-audit code.


    Audited classes do not appear on transcripts for completed semesters, do not count for enrollment verification purposes, and do not count towards financial aid or scholarship eligibility. However, audit hours do count toward maximum hours per semester and tuition charges. Students must be officially enrolled either for credit or audit to be eligible to attend class.

    If you are not a day-continuing student at BYU and are interested in auditing classes, please see "Continuing Education" below. If you are a BYU employee, visit for tuition benefit information."
  • Please refer to the following pages if you are interested in taking classes other than daytime enrollment classes:

  • BYU offers a variety of accommodations for students with disabilities. If you need help with registration or other academic services, contact the University Accessibility Center.