Skip to main content

Registration & Academic Records Petitions

If you need to request an exception to add or withdraw from a class(es) after the add/drop deadline, we can help.

There are many offices across the university that currently have petitions processes available for students facing exceptional circumstances in their lives. Some of the more commonly used petitions processes can be found in these offices:

Academic Support Office
2500 WSC
(801) 422-2723Petitions Instructions
Financial Aid
D155 ASB
(801) 422-4104
Fax: (801) 422-0729
Petitions Instructions
GE Substitution
350 MSRB
801-422-6818GE Sub Petitions Form
Independent Study(801) 422-2868IS Petition form
Religious Education
370 JSB
(801) 422-2735Petition Instructions
D155 ASB
(801) 422-4104Petitions Instructions

Registrar's Office Petitions Policy

University policy allows students one year to petition anything they think is incorrect on their academic record. However, you should file your petition as soon as you can. Evening School or Salt Lake Center students must petition in those respective offices. For Academic Support, Financial Aid or Scholarship petition information, see below.

Steps in the Academic Petition Process

  1. Initiate a Petition – identify the specific records changes needed, write statements to explain the purpose of the petition, and attach supporting documentation.
  2. Instructor Comments – in most petitions, comments from the instructor of the class in question are required. However, you are only responsible for providing them when you wish to add or audit a class in the current semester.
  3. Review – after all information is complete, the petition services committee reviews the request and makes a decision.
  4. Notification/Processing – after the decision has been made and the request processed by the records office, you will be notified of the decision at your BYU email.
  5. Explanation of Decision – within 3 business days of the decision being communicated, you will be provided additional explanation about the decision, if necessary.


We handle petitions through the online system only. After we review your petition, you are welcome to make an appointment with a petitions counselor to discuss your request. If you believe we did not understand your situation completely, you may submit your petition a second time with additional information.

  • The committee will read all information from your first petition again along with any additional information included with the resubmission.
  • Make sure your statement is clear, detailed, and outlines the sequence of events.
  • You may upload any documents for your resubmission petition.


Medical/Clinical Verification Form – Please have your physician or clinician complete this form and provide any additional medical documents or letters that can explain your situation. If necessary, these can be faxed to us at (fax) 801-422-0615.

Employer’s Verification Form – This form tells us whether your employer changed your work schedule after the deadline(s).

International Student Clearance Form – International Student & Scholar Services (1351 WSC) needs to complete this form if you are requesting to drop below 12 credits.

Options if Unable to Complete Classes


Before the withdraw deadline you remove yourself from the class on MyMAP by clicking on the “W” to the right of your class. The consequences of the action:

  • "W" on your transcript
  • May affect financial aid, scholarships, housing, athletic, or international student status.
  • Beginning with the Fall 2021 semester, students will no longer be charged a $10 fee for registration changes after the add/drop deadline.


If you encounter a non-academic emergency/situation after the withdraw deadline, you may request an exception to BYU policy. The exceptions committee will review these requests on a case-by-case basis. The consequences of the action:

  • Beginning with the Fall 2021 semester, students will no longer be charged a $10 fee for registration changes after the add/drop deadline.
  • If denied, you will receive the grade earned, which may be a failing grade.

    Full Withdrawal

    Before the full withdrawal deadline, you may withdraw from all classes. Withdrawing from all of your classes may have an impact on your housing, employment, and many other campus services. Please review the possible consequences of a Full Withdrawal.


    After the full withdrawal deadline, you may request to initiate a contract between you and your instructor to allow you more time to complete the class. The consequences of the action:

    • There is a maximum period of one year from the end of the semester.  If the remaining work is not completed, the final grade for the class is an IE.
    • If the student or instructor believes additional time beyond the year is justified, please contact an Academic Records Counselor in the Registrar’s Office (801-422-6570).
    • See Incomplete Contracts for more information.

    NOTE: There is not a “medical withdraw” option. If you withdraw from a class, it will appear as a “W” on your record, regardless of the reason.

    Things you Cannot Petition

    • To be verified as a full-time student if you are not enrolled full-time in classes.
    • To remove credit from another school from your transcript. This includes AP credit. You need to contact the other school and petition them. You may resubmit a transcript if changes are made.
    • To be reinstated if you have been dropped for tuition nonpayment. If this happens, you can petition to restore your classes by meeting with an Enrollment Services Counselor. Before a petition can be started, you must prepay your tuition on My Financial Center.
    • If you believe you should have a different grade, you should first try to resolve the issue with your instructor.  To find out more on how to resolve this issue, see our Student Academic Grievance Policy.